The Wayne State University Library System (WSULS) seeks an innovative, service-oriented Digital Collections Librarian (II) to advance the University's mission to create and advance knowledge, prepare a diverse student body to thrive, and positively impact local and global communities. The university mission embodies 150 years of educational excellence and access: its students, staff, and faculty are driven to transcend historical and divisive inequities in our society. Our mission of access and proud culture of diversity demands a Librarian who embraces an environment of inclusion that extends beyond simple tolerance by leveraging the power of peoples' individual identities and diverse perspectives to create and curate truly inclusive and accessible collections.
The Digital Collections Librarian works in the Discovery Services Unit under the supervision of the Assistant Dean. In conjunction with the Digital Publishing and Web teams, and especially with the Reuther Library (the largest Labor archive in North America), this individual will work in concert with the Reuther's Technical Services Archivist to effect access and discovery of a range of library- and archive-curated digital materials. The Digital Collections Librarian will be focused on the establishment of access systems and the design of user interfaces to ensure community engagement with Wayne State University Libraries’ diverse digital collections.
Early opportunities will include evaluating Wayne State’s existing digital collections/platform for migration to ContentDM; advancing our implementations of digital archival management systems and their integration with digital collection infrastructure; and evaluating potential print and digital collections for inclusion in our online offerings.
Essential Job Functions:
* With key archivists, coordinate colleagues to effect access and discovery of digital collections
* Evaluate and implement (in partnership with technical colleagues) access systems appropriate to a range of digital objects
* Develop and theme user interfaces for access systems to digital collections
* Where necessary, coordinate digitization efforts for the Library System
* Identify, curate, or otherwise evaluate or implement potential additions to the Library System’s digital collections
* Collaborate with partners inside and outside the library on digital collections-related initiatives, evaluating goals, requirements, and scope to meet partner needs
* Translate ideas developed in collaboration with partners into actionable workflows and infrastructure in the library
* Provide project management for ongoing initiatives
* Monitor professional trends in assigned areas and make recommendations such that services and resources are kept up to date with current best practice
* Master’s degree in Library and Information Science from an ALA- accredited library school
* Demonstrated experience using web scripting technologies to theme or otherwise implement user interfaces
* Experience creating, managing or otherwise administering library or archive digital collections
* Evidence of commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion in a higher education setting
* Demonstrated ability to work both collaboratively and independently to manage projects and initiatives and set priorities
* Competency in identifying, analysing, and solving problems
* Curiosity and a commitment to learn where knowledge gaps exist
* Highly developed written and verbal communication skills
* Basic familiarity with archival principles and practice
* Experience instantiating and working with the evolving ecosystem of digital tools, such as Omeka, and their dependencies
* Experience with scripting at the operating system level
* Demonstrated proficiency in common supporting metadata technologies such as XML/XSLT and/or RDF
* Knowledge of developing technologies, standards, and best practices in digital collection management, policy and preservation
* Experience administering ArchiveSpace and/or Archivematica
This is a full-time, regular, 12-month, benefits-eligible appointment as Academic Staff, represented by the AAUP-AFT on an Employment Security Status track. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, employee/dependent life and long-term disability insurance, retirement savings plans, tuition assistance, and generous paid time off.
Apply for this position online at https://jobs.wayne.edu. Search for posting number 045701. Include a cover letter detailing your suitability to the functions and qualifications in the job description. Questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.