General Print Resources
- Germain, Claire. Germain's Transnational Law Research: A Guide for Attorneys (Law Library K85 .G47 1991). This is one of the most well-respected guides to international law research topics. It is well worth the time to consult this at the beginning of any international law research project.
- Smit & Herzog on the Law of the European Union (Law Library KJE 947 .S63)
- European Union Law in a Nutshell (Law Library Reserve). As with the rest of the nutshell series, this is good for a general overview of the topic.
- T.C. Hartley, The Foundations of European Community Law. (Law Library KJE 947 .H37 2003)
- P.S.R.F. Mathijsen. A guide to European Union Law. (Law Library KJE 947 .M38 2004)
- CCH European Union Law Reporter (Law Library KJE 924.E875 1997).
- Ramsey, Anne, Eurojargon : a dictionary of European Union acronyms, abbreviations, and sobriquets (Law Library HC 240.E748 2000)
Europa is the main gateway for European Union information. It includes a glossary of European Union terms, the EU Bookshop, which includes many free publications on European Union policy issues, press releases, and links to legislation and treaty documents. Europa hosts Com Documents, or Commission Documents from the European Commission, which include legislative proposals, “white papers” and other documents pertaining to recent policy issues, as well as Summaries of EU Legislation. Activities of the European Union provides overviews of several policy areas, and commission proposals can be monitored using the Pre-Lex database.
Eur-Lex is the official web portal for European Union legal documents. It includes the Official Journal of the European Communities, the basic source of EU statutory texts. The official Journal is also available on Lexis and Westlaw. The Official Journal is not codified, but Eur-Lex also hosts the Directory of Community Legislation in Force, which can be browsed by subject. Free registration may be required.
The European Parliament provides access to committee reports and floor debates on EU legislation. It hosts the Legislative Observatory database (free registration is required) which is useful for tracking proposed EU Legislation.
Delegation of the European Union to the United States
A wealth of information is provided by the Delegation of the European Union to the United States. It includes a press room, hot topics, and overviews of various policy areas. The European A to Z index provides links to various EU agencies as well as links to information on issues of importance to the European Union.
Web Research Guides
Is a resource on Lexis or Westlaw?
If you know the title of a publication you can quickly check whether it is on Lexis or Westlaw by using their free web directory databases.
Check the Online Card Catalog
Don't forget to check is Wayne State has a resource by using the online card catalog/ journal database search.